[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 26 12:28:38 BST 2005

> On Thursday 26 May 2005 11:00, douglas wilkins wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I've read (and looked at) all of your suggestions and I must admit that I
> > like new6 more than what we have now. There is unfortunately a "but" :-)
> >
> > But, the options "Interpolator", "Format" and "compression" are all
> > functions of the stitching engine and as such, belong together. If you
> > look at pano_panel-2.5.xrc and the nested nona_panel.xrc you'll see what I
> > mean.
>
> I don't agree. Technically they are functions of the stitching engine, but to
> the user, Image size, format and compression are all parameters of the output
> (of the image) while the Interpolator is more of a technical setting,
> belonging to the stitcher.

Yes, but it can dramatically affect the quality (and speed) of the _output_ and
while it is not a familiar setting for most, in the context of panoramic
stitching it is an important output parameter to the user...

> Technically there is no need to put parameters that belong to the same thing
> together. This is a fault made in many UI's.
>
> (Sorry, that sounded a bit attacking, not meant as such)

Not taken as such :-)

> > Post 0.5 this will not change. PTStitcher obviously will not get new
> > interpolator options but nona may well, and we need to keep the panels
> > separate to facilitate this.
>
> Can anyone explain me (or point me a link to) the several components being
> used and how they work together? Why won't PTStitcher get new interpolator
> options?

Because none of us have any access to the source code for PTStitcher. Prof.
Dersch, who wrote the original panotools that is at the heart of hugin,
released most but not all of the code for the related tools. There are many

regards,
Doug