[ptx] panotools

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 14 16:54:45 BST 2005

--- Ed Halley <ed at halley.cc> wrote:
[snip]
> The usual approach here is to make a new "build
mode"
> for the project, just as most projects have a
"Debug"
> build mode and a "Release" build mode.  Look in the
> .dsp file to see how one will define a _DEBUG and
> the other will define the NDEBUG symbol.
>
> You'd make a "Release - With Java" mode and a
> "Release - Without Java" mode.

This I understand :-)

> The touchy thing about this arrangement is that it's
> fragile:

And this is my problem. Also, with this approach,
every variable at least doubles the number of .DSP
files required.

> each mode can have any number of differences,
> from compiler flags to symbols to dependencies and
> other weird things.  If you change something without
> specifying that it should be changed for all
> configurations, you may diverge unintentionally.
> You'd have the same issue with two makefiles or a
> makefile with switches, but I think Unix folk tend
> to hand manage their makefiles a bit more closely,
> while .dsp files are managed by mysterious
> gui magick.

The approach I think I want to take is a single config
file where all the various switches are defined - ie
HasJava, HasJPEG, HasTIFF etc. which would also tie
in nicely with the autotools approach taken in linux.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it is a pity that you
cannot define all global options in the .sln and
then the differences in the various build modes.

regards,
Doug