[ptx] panotools

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sat May 14 14:57:57 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 07:46 +0100, douglas wilkins wrote:
> I haen't used msvc enough to know for sure if we could
> create a solution that conditionally compiles the java
> support, but in the meantime, I guess that the current
> project should have "HasJava" defined, and a separate
> project defined for use without java. I'll add those.

The usual approach here is to make a new "build mode"
for the project, just as most projects have a "Debug"
build mode and a "Release" build mode.  Look in the .dsp
file to see how one will define a _DEBUG and the other
will define the NDEBUG symbol.

You'd make a "Release - With Java" mode and a "Release -
Without Java" mode.

The touchy thing about this arrangement is that it's
fragile:  each mode can have any number of differences,
from compiler flags to symbols to dependencies and other
weird things.  If you change something without specifying
that it should be changed for all configurations, you may
diverge unintentionally.  You'd have the same issue with
two makefiles or a makefile with switches, but I think
Unix folk tend to hand manage their makefiles a bit more
closely, while .dsp files are managed by mysterious gui
magick.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]