[ptx] panotools

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 12 15:50:13 BST 2005

Hi there,
since I m probably most responsible for these changes,
let me try and explain :-)

The first change was the addition of libpano12.def.

This did not re-export the TIFF interface. This was
because when I tried to build hugin using mingw on
windows I ran into all sorts of problems which boiled
down to the following:
hugin was calling into the standalone tiff lib when
initialising and then using functions from the static
library embedded in pano12.dll where, of course, the
data structures were not ready. This caused all sorts
of bizarre problems.

I didn't want to change a well known interface which
included only selected portions of the tiff interface
since PTStitcher and perhaps others required them and
I did not want to export the _entire_ tiff interface,
I chose to create a new .def file which could create
an import lib that would result in correct linking for
MinGW.

MSVC didn't have the problem, but did need the order
reversed.

Thus the four versions.

I still think though that the TIFF definitions should
be removed from all .defs Indeed, it makes no sense to
me that you should be required to have two separate
versions of TIFF et al in a software project and I can
see all sorts of problems arising out of it. Of course
on the linux platform the issue does not arise since
there the graphics libraries there are dynamically
linked.

regards,
Doug

--- Jim Watters <jimwatters at rogers.com> wrote:
> There are currently several .def files in the CVS
> pano12.def         = original
> libpano12.def      = TIFF functions removed
> pano12vc.def      = Naming functions reversed for
> msvc
> pano12vcd.def    =  For debug dll
>
> pano12.def is still used in many of the .mak files.
> Should pano12.def be replaced with libpano12.def in
> the .mak files?

As long as no programs are using the TIFF functions
from pano12.dll

> Should the TIFF functions be removed from
> pano12vc.def & pano12vcd.def ?

I think so

> I tested the build with out Java and PTEditor and
> PTViewer both work.
> Should java be completely removed?

I have no opinion either way