[ptx] GUI Cross Platform Development

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Sat Mar 5 07:36:09 GMT 2005

Marek Januszewski schrieb:
> Yili Zhao wrote:
>
>> For GUI cross platform development, I know there are o QT
>> o GTK/GTK+
>> o wxWidgets
>> o FLTK
>> o others libraries
>> What are the advantages and disadvantages of there libraries? And if
>> can select again, which one is suitable?
>

> I think gtk would be third most portable after qt and wxwidgets.
> I'm not sure how does it work on mac, but it seems they made a good
> progress recently.

I hope so. However, the differences between gtk2 and msw versions
of wxWidgets are also very noticeable. Also, in general, the reliablity
of wxWindows is less then QT. After 2 years of development with
wxWindows, I do not trust the documentation too much. Even things that
should be quite simple like a splitter to let the user devide the space
between to widgets does not work properly and conistently between
windows and unix.

However, this is boring stuff and I won't start a port to another
toolkit, because this will stop all progress that is really interesting.
(feature wise..)

> as for visual development on wxwidgets, I would like to recommend a
> project that I'm also a part of wxdev-c++:
> http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/

Haven't come around to install wxdev on windows yet.