New XRC files for Stitcher Panel (Was: Re: [ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5)

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 19:07:59 BST 2005

--- Ippei UKAI <ippei_ukai at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for taking your time:)

Always :-)

[snip]

> I prefer grouping with separators.
> wxMac seems not handling font style very well (it's not displayed
> with system font if you specify a font, even with "default" family).

Latest CVS replaces the "default" family with "swiss" as default looked
absolutely awful on windows too. :-)
On windows "default" maps to the fixed width console font, while "swiss" maps
to  the GUI default sans serif font. How does it look with swiss on the mac?

> I'd rather go for putting separators with static text label without
> any specific font.

If you don't put a <family> tag in the xrc style definition, it defaults to
"default" :-)

> By the way, small font inserted between widgets
> does not look very well. They are like side notes rather than titles
> of each section.

Small fonts? what do you suggest the size should be? It is currently set to 10.

[snip]
> > I would agree 100% if it were not for the redraw bug. I am a firm
> > believer in
> > making _only_ bug fixes and _only_ the minimum change required when
> > any
> > software approaches a milestone release. It is the only way to acheive
> > stabilty. After the milestone release, new features should be put
> > in as soon as
> > possible to allow maximum time to stabilize any issues.
>
> If you are just fixing the bug, why does Stitcher panel have totally
> new looking?

Because I couldn't resist fixing it so that the rule of "changes made later in
the dialog should not affect options earlier" was followed. I'm guilty of
breaking my own rule :-/
Should I change it back?

[snip]
>   I thought changing the GUI style is huge change which is far bigger
> than changing some widgets' place a little or which class a function
> should belong to. Maybe I should stop thinking like a user, but still,
> debugging 20 lines of new code may be easier than improving the all
> new style of GUI fit for all three platforms.

[snip]
> > This is not (I believe) a new interface, merely a replacement of
> > "lines around
> > groups" with "spaces around groups".
> >

> I now partially agree with this as the new design getting better
> faster than I thought. But, I would still say fixing awkward grouping
> of GUI is at least as easy as making new "spaces around groups"
> design fit on all three platforms.

I will look at this again, but I also want to get RC2 out soon as well :-)

[snip]
I've cut a lot of your reply out and have only replied to a couple of the
points, but I will look at and reply to the others soon.

regards,
Doug