[ptx] artifacts when scrolling

JD Smith jdsmith at as.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 1 17:23:43 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 00:08 -0600, Rob Park wrote:
> On 5/31/05, douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Well, I know that GTK runs on Windows (that's how the gaim port
> > > worked, at least), though I'm not sure about OSX. I know they can run
> > > linux apps in X11 but I'm not sure if GTK can be made to run
> > > "natively" in Aqua or whatever they call it (eg, outside of X11).
> >
> > It's a good question - I think it does.
>
> Just asked a mac using friend of mine about gtk stuff. Apparently
> there were a couple attempts to port gtk to the mac so that they would
> look like native apps (in the same way that gtk apps kinda look native
> on windows), but they're mostly dead projects, so the only really
> feasable way to do gtk on osx is through X11, which from what I
> understand is a bit ugly for mac users.
>
> > Doesn't mono use GTK on OSX? And if so, does it run in Aqua or X11?
>
> No idea what mono does...
>
> One thing I just noticed though is that when you're doing stuff in
> Glade, the .glade file is actually XML. It's a bit on the verbose
> side, but I don't think it's quite as bad as XRC is. At any rate,
> Glade is a very nice application for creating and editing the GUIs.
>
> I think this could be a viable option if you wanted to pursue it...
> You get to create your GUI in Glade (much like you create it in XRCed
> right now), you don't sacrifice much of the cross platform parts (you
> can still run on windows, mac, and linux, you just annoy the mac
> people a bit), and you get to completely rid yourself of the
> deficiency that is wx.

Another option would be Qt, which has a native Mac OSX port which
purportedly works well (in fact all of KDE has been ported on it).  And,
with Qt 4, due out imminently, there will be a free GPL Windows port as
well (formerly there was only the commercial Qt for Windows).  I've been
a fan of GTK for a while, but it seems Qt may have the edge for cross-
platform GUI coding, and you are coding directly to a toolkit API,
instead of to a "least-common-denominator" emulated API like wX.

JD