[ptx] artifacts when scrolling

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 07:08:30 BST 2005

On 5/31/05, douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Well, I know that GTK runs on Windows (that's how the gaim port
> > worked, at least), though I'm not sure about OSX. I know they can run
> > linux apps in X11 but I'm not sure if GTK can be made to run
> > "natively" in Aqua or whatever they call it (eg, outside of X11).
>
> It's a good question - I think it does.

Just asked a mac using friend of mine about gtk stuff. Apparently
there were a couple attempts to port gtk to the mac so that they would
look like native apps (in the same way that gtk apps kinda look native
on windows), but they're mostly dead projects, so the only really
feasable way to do gtk on osx is through X11, which from what I
understand is a bit ugly for mac users.

> Doesn't mono use GTK on OSX? And if so, does it run in Aqua or X11?

No idea what mono does...

One thing I just noticed though is that when you're doing stuff in
Glade, the .glade file is actually XML. It's a bit on the verbose
side, but I don't think it's quite as bad as XRC is. At any rate,
Glade is a very nice application for creating and editing the GUIs.

I think this could be a viable option if you wanted to pursue it...
You get to create your GUI in Glade (much like you create it in XRCed
right now), you don't sacrifice much of the cross platform parts (you
can still run on windows, mac, and linux, you just annoy the mac
people a bit), and you get to completely rid yourself of the
deficiency that is wx.

What do you think?

--
Urban Artography