[ptx] Optimizations and Optimal Image Size

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Fri Jan 7 03:29:21 GMT 2005

David Grant wrote:

> Has anyone ever noticed this?
>
> 1. Do the control points
> 2. Start running optimizer, get the error low, 1 pixel average, and <5
> pixels max
> 3. Go to Stich. press "calculate optimal size" and/or "calculate field
> of view".
> 5. The error will now skyrocket, until the 10 pixel average, and 30-40
> pixels max range.

Actually this is just a scaling issue.

I have 14 images in a row. Each image is 1600x1200 and arranged in one
row. When I start up hugin with my .pto generated from autopano-sift,
the panorama size is 3000x1500. The error at the size is avg.=1 max=5
with all optimizations. Increasing the size of the panorama
automatically gives 14,828x7,414 (strange height, I know), makes the
error increase to avg.=5 max=25.

So this kind of makes sense to me. Maybe to decrease the error further
for a large output panorama size, I can make autopano-sift use the
original image sizes, instead of the default downsized to 700 pixels
version...

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81