[ptx] Optimizations

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Thu Jan 6 08:47:56 GMT 2005

David Grant wrote:

> Which optimizations do people normally do in practice? One of the
> tutorials advises not to use "everything" but perhaps just use the
> first two, simplest, optimizations.

Here's the quote from Rob Park: "It might be tempting to optimize for
"Everything", but that is recommended only when there is 50% overlap,
and the control points are placed over the whole overlap area. Otherwise
the optimizer reduces control point error close to the boundary, but add
strange bubbles or other distortions in the middle."

But on the Hugin tutorial by Ed Halley: "Once you get good results, you
can get better results by optimizing more variables. You can optimize
for every variable at once, but this is slower, and can even fail if
your initial guesses weren't good enough."

And on Bruno's tutorial:

"The lens parameters can be optimized at the same time; for now we can
leave the *HFOV* (horizontal field of view) unaltered, but can try and
correct barrel distortion by selecting the *b* parameter.

/Tip: Although you can optimize all hfov, a, b, c, d & e parameters,
most of the time the hfov and b parameters are the only significant
numbers you need to consider."/

It seem like everyone has their own preference.

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca:81