[ptx] Hi from China

Pablo dAngelo Pablo.dAngelo at web.de
Wed Feb 16 13:36:40 GMT 2005

Hi!

I just got the chance to catch up with my email before going to Yunnan,
for the next week.

As for all the improvements for fisheye stitching.. Unfortunately the
idiot I bought the Peleng from didn't include the M42 -> Canon EOS
adapter (which he said would be included)... So I'm in China now, with
an fisheye, but without a possibility to mount it on my 300D.
Does anyone know a place in Bejing that could have that kind of
"exotic" stuff? I have been told that "sheyingcheng" might be a good
place to look, but it wasn't open today.

About the questions on the list:

A selection of active images for optimisation and preview would be a
good thing I guess. But I think it should be optional, so that beginners
will not use it by accident. The state of the selection should be
shown in the status bar, I think.

I'll also think about the zoomable preview. The preview uses the same
stitching code as nona, but smaller input images (max. 800x800 pixels).
If a real zoom (up to the 1:1 magnification) should be possible, it might
be a bit more work to implement efficiently.

The next thing I plan to implement (appart from bug fixes etc.) are
different distortion correction for each rgb channel (to fix chromatic
abberations) and automatic vignetting correction. (based on the
the brightness ratio in the overlap area).

Unfortunately a lot of work is waiting when I return to germany,
so implementing all this might take a while.

Another thing: I noticed that some translations use very long strings,
that make the layout look strange. Could the translators please check
and try to use shorter descriptions for some buttons (For example I
remember that the images tab in the french translation had a not so
nice layout, because some buttons on the right side where too big).
It would be great if this could be fixed before 0.5 is released.