[ptx] nona and PTstitcher

Jim Watters jwatters at photocreations.ca
Tue Dec 13 06:25:01 GMT 2005

JD Smith wrote:

> It would seem a few people including Jim Watters have been working on
> this recently... see the PanoTools list.
>
> PTStitcher has color histogram matching, but no one really uses that
> now that Enblend and the rest are available.  As such, there's really
> no reason to stick with PTStitcher now that nona is here (other than
> unfamiliarity).  Nona is faster and simpler, and can stitch  many
> types of image encodings (16-bit, etc.).  It does not produce PSD
> output, but its multi-layered TIFF should be equivalent.  I guess
> Gimp 2.x can read (and write?) these multi-layered TIFFs with masks.
> Does anyone know if enblend can read them as well, or will it just
> take multiple TIFF files with encoded offsets?
>
> JD

There are a few things that PTStitcher does that nona does not.
PTStitcher is 8KB  and nona_gui 2296KB (much better than the previous
version I had at over 6000KB)

98% of PTStitcher is calling pano12.dll in the right order.

After PTStitcher is finished and improved then the next goal will be to
recreate the other helper apps  PTEditor, PTAverage, PTInterpolate,
PTMorpher, PTStereo, and PTStripe.  They are not used as much (not by
me) but probably suffer the same memory allocation problem as PTStitcher.

We have just started recreating PTStitcher but it should not be that
difficult to finish even if there are a lot of parameters for it to
understand.
http://photocreations.ca/panotools/stitch.txt  This is mostly taken care
of in pano12.dll.  By keeping the code in the lib it benefits all the
calling apps and plugins.

I think both should be developed.  It is always good to have chooses.
As I understand nona and hugin use very little of pano12.dll anymore.

--

 Jim Watters

 Graphic Software Developer
 http://photocreations.ca