[ptx] nona and PTstitcher

Daniel M. German dmgerman at uvic.ca
Tue Dec 13 00:26:08 GMT 2005

 Andrew Mihal twisted the bytes to say:

 Andrew> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, JD Smith wrote:
 >> Does anyone know if enblend can read them as well, or will it just
 >> take multiple TIFF files with encoded offsets?

 Andrew> Enblend takes multiple TIFFs with encoded offsets. Multilayer TIFFs are
 Andrew> not currently supported. You can use the tiffsplit program to turn a
 Andrew> multilayer TIFF into multiple TIFFs with encoded offsets.

I have tried this approach and the problem is that enblend does not
seem to work very well when the marks are not uniform (the masks that
I created very  irregular).

 manouchk> I don't know ptstitcher, I just use nona. I don't know
 manouchk> things very deeply but I think that nona does stitch very
 manouchk> well and fast, ptstitcher stitch very well but much slower
 manouchk> but he can do colour and luminosity adjustement if for some
 manouchk> unknown (strange) reasosn you didn't shoot with the same
 manouchk> exposure (and same white balance) the photos. It is simpler
 manouchk> to stitch photos shooted with same parameters (zoom,
 manouchk> exposure and white balance)...

I totally agree with you. I think enblend does a great job. It just
assumes that there is no more manual labour to be done after it. It
essentially assumes it is the last step in the process.

 >> One of the problems I have with enblend is that it does not preserve
 >> layer masks. This makes it very difficult match exposures of complex
 >> panoramas.

 manouchk> Of course enblends does not preserve layer because it here
 manouchk> join the photos seamlessly !!! Did you read what enblend
 manouchk> is.  Maybe you should explain better what you're doing?

Image a panorama in which you many straight lines, and you shoot the
photos without a tripod.  I tried adjusting the masks before enblend,
but it did not work very well. It might have been because the
panoramas I was blending were taken handheld. see the following uRL:

http://turingmachine.org/silvernegative/index.php?/archives/328-Newcastles-Millennium-Bridge.html

(please note that this photo was not created by enblend, the blending
was done mostly by hand).

the component photos were taken handheld (5. I was able to adjust the masks to make
sure the suspenders of the bridge matched properly, but then enblend
will ignore the precise merge points (I made sure the masks were
totally pure white or black) that I had specified (I can make the
TIFFs available if anybody is interested, but it is more than 100 megs
in size).

What I really would like is an enblend that is able to blend the
layers, but preserve each entire layer for further manipulation.

 manouchk> What is a complex pano?  What are you thinkig about? Is it
 manouchk> a big secret??

 manouchk> Maybe: you can edit tiff before running enblend to remove
 manouchk> persons that could appear on 2 photos...  You could also do

And indeed I tried before I run enblend, but it did not seem to work
very well.  I will try to make a small sample to show what I mean.

--
Daniel M. German                  "The World Wide Web looks more
   The Economist ->                like the World Wide Mess."