[ptx] nona and PTstitcher

JD Smith jdsmith at as.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 12 22:48:27 GMT 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 3:20 PM, Daniel M. German wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> does anybody know why Helmut never released the source code for
> PTstitcher? This is particularly problematic for those of us running
> OS X (the current executable is for 0S 9, there is no native version
> of it for OS X).
>
> Also, I have noticed that there are some features of PTstitcher that
> are not available in none (like PSD support). Is there a location
> where I can read a description of these differences?
>
> Finally, given that PTstitcher is mainly based on libpano12, wouldn't
> it be easy to reproduce the functionality of PTstitcher, perhaps by
> analyzing libpano12 and/or potentially decompiling its linux source
> code? Has anybody tried something like this?

It would seem a few people including Jim Watters have been working on
this recently... see the PanoTools list.

PTStitcher has color histogram matching, but no one really uses that
now that Enblend and the rest are available.  As such, there's really
no reason to stick with PTStitcher now that nona is here (other than
unfamiliarity).  Nona is faster and simpler, and can stitch  many
types of image encodings (16-bit, etc.).  It does not produce PSD
output, but its multi-layered TIFF should be equivalent.  I guess
Gimp 2.x can read (and write?) these multi-layered TIFFs with masks.
Does anyone know if enblend can read them as well, or will it just
take multiple TIFF files with encoded offsets?

JD