[ptx] Hugin, my griefs...

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon Aug 22 08:33:55 BST 2005

Hi all,

Tijmen wrote

> Hello. I currently use hugin v0.5 beta 3, so if things have been fixed in
> later versions, please shoot me...
>
> Since I work with hugin I really like the program, but there are some things
> which really annoy me. The list:
>
> - Setting the anchor point when it is not in the exact center and not right to
> the horizon is really painful. I do a lot of handheld panoramas (I do so
> because Hugin can work with those :-)) but, if your anchor lines are a bit
> away from the center and turned, you can first left-click to set the right
> *point*, but then if you then right-drag to set the right rotation, it
> rotates around the centre of the image (or some other point?), not around the
> anchor centre you just set by right-clicking. rotating around the anchor
> centre would be far more natural in my view.

Yes the anchor selection window needs some more work to be really
useable. However, I mainly use vertical and horizontal control points to
level my panos.

> -Another grief with the anchor point is that hugin starts remapping
> immediately, so you can't reclick within 2 or 3 seconds after you've done so.
> IMHO hugin shouldn't start remapping until after you've closed the "set
> anchor point" window.

Workaround: deselect the "auto" button on the preview panel.

> -Another point about anchor point: How do you set anchor lines that are not in
> 90 degree angles (visualize: making a architectural pano of the north face of
> a building, where your viewpoint was northwest to, not north of the
> building). Is this possible? If so, How?

Hard question. you probably have to guess. However for architectural
panos it is much better to use vertical/horizontal control points. Bruno
has written two great tutorials (on the hugin website) about their usage.

> -I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that hugin won't correctly react on a
> change of the anchor point without a full reload (save the .pto, close hugin
> and reload).

Hmm, I could not reproduce this behaviour. When does it happen and what
are the consequences?

> -In the panorama preview window the slidebars confuse me very much.
> I allways mistake them for scrollbars while in fact they are view angle
> sliders (or am I mistaken?).
> IMHO, there should be the big view of the pano preview where you can zoom in
> (using a separate slider, or the scroll wheel) and pan around (with the
> sliders), much like you view an image in the GIMP.

Well, the current preview window is just a preview, not the final thing.
  I'd like to have a fast zoom feature as well, but I don't have time to
program it.

> -I haven't been able to run enblend from within hugin, but I think I have to
> tinker with settings and/or update stuff for that locally.

Select Nona, TIFF output and tick the enblend button. You do not need
any additional command line arguments. Well -v is recommended it you
want to see enblend's progress.

> -You can only select "cylindrical" panorama, but not whether it's a vertical
> or horizontal cylinder. This confused me as I have one image ready to do with
> a horizontal but it will only do vertical cylinder.

You can do this by adding 90 degrees to the roll angle of the anchor
image. Reoptimize, Stitch and rotate the output image in GIMP or so.