[ptx] multilayer tiff -> enblend -> multilayer tiff?

JD Smith jdsmith at as.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 16 23:34:40 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 14:45, Ed Halley wrote:
> I would like to start using enblend to deal with the last 2% of exposure
> issues in my larger pano/mosaics.  However, I think enblend only outputs
> a single layer tiff?
>
> Working with multiple layer tiff in the GIMP is a necessity for me; I
> find any moving or clipped objects and choose the appropriate seams
> manually.  However, if I took Hugin's output through enblend, this
> capability is gone-- enblend would choose the final pixel mix for me.
>
> Can enblend currently output GIMP-ready multiple layer tiffs?  The
> website does not appear to address this.  If not, can someone look at
> how hard this would be to add?  Basically, instead of flattening, just
> go over each of the overlapping areas and rewrite the
> exposure/color-corrected pixels to each affected layer distinctly.
>
> Or am I confused about enblend's math?

Though I haven't tried it, I think enblend can read the alpha mask from
an input TIFF, and in places where the mask is <255, enblend will treat
that portion of the image as missing, and draw a seam to exclude it.
Rather than post-processing to remove unwanted features, your
pre-process and then feed to enblend.  By it's very nature, enblend
cannot produce a multi-layer output, unless some clever decomposition of
output into "original" and "blended difference" could be made.

JD