[ptx] multilayer tiff -> enblend -> multilayer tiff?

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Thu Sep 16 23:18:54 BST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Ed Halley wrote:

> I would like to start using enblend to deal with the last 2% of exposure
> issues in my larger pano/mosaics.  However, I think enblend only outputs
> a single layer tiff?
>
> Working with multiple layer tiff in the GIMP is a necessity for me; I
> find any moving or clipped objects and choose the appropriate seams
> manually.  However, if I took Hugin's output through enblend, this
> capability is gone-- enblend would choose the final pixel mix for me.

Hmm, well you can remove objects before running enblend.. but not the
seaming.. this would require a change to enblend (shouldn't be too hard to
change.. instead of calling the routine that calculates the blending
boundary, it could just load it from disk..)

> Can enblend currently output GIMP-ready multiple layer tiffs?  The
> website does not appear to address this.  If not, can someone look at
> how hard this would be to add?  Basically, instead of flattening, just
> go over each of the overlapping areas and rewrite the
> exposure/color-corrected pixels to each affected layer distinctly.
>
> Or am I confused about enblend's math?

Yes, enblend is not combining only the stacked pixels, but also potentially
huge areas of them concurrently, depending on the frequency. There is not
equivalent blending mode for layers in the gimp, so it can't be represented
as a multilayer file as gimp knows them.