[ptx] hugin --prefix and building RPM packages

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Mon Oct 18 09:09:58 BST 2004

Building an RPM binary package typically involves running a full
installation to a temporary directory and then bundling those files.
Though the eventual installation directory once the RPM is installed
is always /usr.

The configure command might look like this:

    ./configure --prefix=/var/tmp/hugin-root/usr

The problem I have is that this path then gets hard-coded into the
hugin binary (which then doesn't work if the resource files are
placed in /usr/share):

  $ strings src/hugin/hugin | grep /var/tmp
  /var/tmp/hugin-root/usr/share/locale
  /var/tmp/hugin-root/usr/share/hugin/xrc

Currently I run configure with a prefix of /usr and do the
installation manually.  This has two problems:

1. I have to maintain a list of files to install and occasionally
   make mistakes.

2. The .mo files are built by 'make install', so none of the RPM
   versions have any localisation.

Any ideas what I can do about this?

--
Bruno