[ptx] Subpixel accurate template matching algorithm ???

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon May 24 11:12:49 BST 2004

ptx-bounces at email-lists.org wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm just looking for algorithm which could solve this issue :
> Having a template image, it should return every occurrence of this pattern
> in a given image with a good subpixel accuracy.
> (I suppose we could set every necessary informations for the accuracy of the
> algorithm for dealing with exposure difference, noise, etc). The aim of the
> algorithm is not for control point but to retrieve positions on a picture
> with crosses as patterns : I need the
> exact locations of all crosses.
> Do you have ideas about the best approach ?

This sounds like the problem I attempted when I wanted to write a lens
distortion specifier:

I printed a big (A0) sheet containing a rectangular grid, then tried to
automatically locate the coordinates of all the grid junctions.

I couldn't get this to run solidly enough, so instead I did it mostly
manually. :-(

The next step was to write a perl program which took the list of
coordinates, and generated a PTOptimizer project with horizontal or
vertical lines defined between each pair of relevant points.

Terje

PS. The best method I did find was to use a small template cross,
convert the input image into B&W, and then do a convolution between the
template and target image. Even without any rotation of the template,
this did tend to find useful maxima close to the proper crossing points.

An algorithm that knew how the target image was supposed to look could
find each horizontal line, scan along it, an d determine where the
vertical crossings were.

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>