[ptx] beta version available for pano12.dll with improved optimizer

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon May 17 15:31:39 BST 2004

rj.littlefield at computer.org wrote:
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
> What does "problems trying to find a stable solution" mean?  If the
> optimizer converges to different values depending on your initial
> estimates, then most likely there are a bunch of local minima in the
> error as a function of a/b/c.  I don't think that anything I did would
> change the optimizer behavior in that case.

I'll probably have to download the source code and try to run it under a
debugger myself. :-)

>> Should I place the photo + my current PTAsm project file on a web
>> server for download?
>
> Sure, I will be happy to take a look.  But do not get your hopes too
> high.  I am not expert on the PT lens model, and it sounds like the
> problem may be that the model just cannot represent this lens very
> well.  Perhaps someone else with more experience can take a look too.

OK, I've placed the source image (8 Mpix, 1.5 MB! :-(), plus two PTAsm
project files on my web server:

  http://norloff.org/pano/pano12/

lens-7.1mm.ptp is the regular project, using both horizontal/vertical
lines, and several straight line blocks.

The big project file (lens-test.ptp) is the result of running a perl
program which takes all the straight line control points and converts
them into all possible combinations of first/second point for a
horizontal line.

Using the optimizer, I get maximum errors up to 150-200 pixels, which is
a _lot_ worse than simply assuming no lens distortion at all. :-(

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>