[ptx] possible optimizer bug, filename ordering [Re: bugs - hugin_snapshot_hugin_2004_07_16-08_33_win32.zip]

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Mon Jul 19 00:25:39 BST 2004

Pablo,

Thanks for the test cases.  As we discussed offline, these tests
illustrate that b=0 prevents optimization of b, but they do not
illustrate the "goes berserk" problem;  b is optimized correctly if it
is optimized at all.  My build of the optimizer handles these tests the
same as yours.

It seems that b=0 prevents optimization in some cases but not in
others.  I don't know exactly why that is.  Maybe something to do with
relative scaling of various parameters in the depths of the
Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm.  Anyway, the safest approach seems to be
always make a/b/c non-zero if you want to optimize them.

Let me know if/when you want me to look at a test case where the
optimizer goes crazy.  I suspect that it will turn out to be related to
control point placement, so I will need access to the images too.

Thanks much,
--Rik