[ptx] Lens correction of a cheap webcam

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Fri Jul 16 09:39:22 BST 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 04:20:29PM -0400, Guillaume Filion wrote:
> A floppy is very unreliable and I would recommend against using it. It might
> be more reliable to load the floppy into a RAM disk on boot but a simpler
> solution would be to use a IDE Compact Flash Adapter(1) that sells for about
> US$20 with a small (~64 MB) Compact Flash memory card(2) that sells for
> about US$30.

Given that the cost of the used PC is well under $50, I could as well use
the IDE hard disk or CD-ROM that come with it.  However, I think it's better
for the power supply and heat dissipation to strip down the hardware.

I agree that floppies are unreliable, but in this case, the system would be
accessing the floppy only during boot time, which would probably be at most
twice a year.

Almost two years ago, I set up a floppyfw (http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/)
based firewall and bidirectional NAT box.  The system has been rebooted a few
times due to power outages or service interruptions on the ADSL line.  (It
uses an external ADSL to Ethernet converter that fails easily.)  Although
the 10-year-old floppy drive on that system is a bit unreliable, it has always
managed to boot with less than 3 retries.

> Good luck with your project,
> GFK's

Thanks!

	Marko