[ptx] hugin and enblend?

Chris Cothrun mutagen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:16:40 BST 2004

I'm going to steer this back towards the list, I inadvertantly replied
directly instead of to the list.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:17:42 -0600, Rob Park <rbpark at ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Chris Cothrun wrote:
[snip]
> > I think his interests have migrated towards High Dynamic Range imaging
> > and other topics.
>
> So does that mean that development on PanoTools has ceased?

There seems to be active and growing development around the most
useful aspects of Panotools. The pano12 library has seen some
significant developments lately, including a much faster optimizer and
an approximation technique for PTStitcher that puts it slightly faster
than Nona with only a small sacrifice in accuracy (.25 pixel at most,
usually much less). I believe the development is centered around the
sourceforge site (http://panotools.sourceforge.net/) but I'm not sure
all of these changes are checked into CVS there, this is one of the
useful things that shows up on the Yahoo PanoTools list.

> And another question I have that I can't find a satisfactory answer to,
> if I am using nona, is it safe to uninstall panotools, or is there
> something in panotools that hugin still needs, even though I'm using
> nona instead of PTStitcher?

I believe it still needs the pano12 library.

[snip]

> > FWIW, here are a few panos produced with Hugin, Panotools and Enblend:
> >
> > Foundation: Handheld, about 14 photos, had correct several seams
> > manually after enblend.
> > http://www.cothrun.com/gallery/albums/KHBuild20040313/foundation_pano_hq.jpg
>
> That is a seriously nice panorama. I am impressed how well it is
> stitched together with all the stuff in the foreground and background ;)

thanks!

> > Ruby Mtns: Handheld, about 14 photos, used autopano-sift along with
> > Hugin, Panotools and Enblend and didn't have to do any additional
> > correction (I did clone in some sky where I didn't get my camera
> > angles right).
>
> I think you forgot the URL for this one ;)

Yeah...

small-http://www.cothrun.com/gallery/albums/2004CothrunFamilyReunion/lamoille_canyon_ruby_mtns_6.sized.jpg
med-http://www.cothrun.com/gallery/albums/2004CothrunFamilyReunion/lamoille_canyon_ruby_mtns_6.jpg

I haven't figured out whether to crop mountaintops out or if I leave
the whitespace in this one. I want to get a wide angle lens so I can
create 360x360 panos without too many shots. Its hard to justify when
its just a hobby though.

> Here are some of mine, now that I've figured out how to use this stuff
> now...
>
> http://rbpark.ath.cx/pictures/pano/college1.jpg
> College Plaza Rooftop: Used tripod, but only a ball-head, no special
> panorama head, 32 photos in total, used autopano-sift then Hugin, nona
> and then enblend. Did a little cropping with gimp, and then I cloned
> some stitch marks out from the extreme edges of the photo (lots of the
> stuff in the foreground really got sheared).

This version is much better than the original you posted.

> http://rbpark.ath.cx/pictures/pano/adablvd.jpg
> Here is one I just made, and I was impressed at the speed with which I
> made it... it's from 4 pictures, using autopano-sift, hugin, nona, and
> enblend, and then gimp for cropping only (no cloning needed). Took me
> about 20 minutes, at most (including time spent taking the actual
> photos). VERY nice compared to how much time I spent making control
> points by hand in other panoramas before I found out about
> autopano-sift. I think I'm going to go back to that place in better
> weather to get some better pictures and try it again.

Thats very clean for a quick pano. Clouds make for some interesting
skies but can play havoc with the exposure and contrast.

--
- Chris