[ptx] hugin and enblend?

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sun Aug 29 01:57:11 BST 2004

Hello everybody, I am new to this list, and fairly new to panorama
stitching in general.

I use linux, and so far I've been somewhat frustrated with the state of
panorama-creation tools on linux. It seems that every website I find
that has information is at least 2 years out of date (pages that are
marked with a 'last updated' tag in the footer invariably have dates
from 2001 to 2003). Especially that Helmut Dersch guy, did he fall of
the face of the earth in 2001 or what?

Anyway, I've been using hugin with mixed results. It seems that hugin is
very good at lining up the images, correcting for lens distortion, etc,
but I very often get really ugly stitch lines. I know that I can correct
the stitch lines myself in the Gimp, as I am accustomed to using the
Pandora tool (which is essentially hand-hacking the panorama together
yourself, manually), but I have a painful time importing hugin panoramas
into the gimp, as tif2xcf doesn't work with gimp 2.0 (maybe I'm doing
something wrong?).

Then I found out about enblend, and tried it, but I just don't see any
difference between what enblend produces and what hugin produces as
output. They are almost identical! Am I missing something here? Are
there any good tutorials on how to properly use these tools?

Also, is there a good place to go to get the latest version of all this
software? (hugin, enblend, autopano, panotools, etc). Like I said, all
the websites are out of date, so I'm not sure if I'm using the latest
versions or not.

Thank you.