[ptx] hugin, nona, enblend on amd64

Andrew C Mihal mihal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 27 20:39:50 BST 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, JD Smith wrote:

> I asked Andrew about integrating this patch, and never heard back from
> him (probably busy with classes, etc.).  Perhaps we could start a
> sourceforge project seeded with the 23 May release, and solicit
> developer involvement.  I'm sure he'd be happy to have the help.

Sorry, I was camping last weekend. There are some photos in the Los Gatos
category on my web page. I'm in that "all-but-dissertation" state right
now :)

My current enblend cvs tree is about halfway ported to VIGRA. I've set
aside the multi-layer tiff patch until I get that done. Last time I
checked Pablo had some vigra export facilities for multi-layer tiffs but
no import facilities. These would be helpful. Alternatively we can just
have nona call the enblend routines directly. I have not been able to
install gimp 2.0 because of a dependency explosion, so I am less than
totally excited about the multi-layer tiffs. There is always tiffsplit.

My plan is to release the VIGRA port as enblend 2.0 when I get it done,
with the main new feature being support for 16-bit pixels and other pixel
types. After that I intend to work on the mask generation algorithm a
little more. I want to add stitching mismatch avoidance and a random
wander effect to break up straight lines that tend to catch the eye.

Rob Platt is looking at making the pyramid routines multithreaded, which
should be fairly straightforward. There is also interest in implementing
some memory/disk balancing, so that small projects can be blended quickly
in memory and still allow for huge projects to be done on disk. When the
VIGRA port is complete I think we will need something like a file-backed
VIGRA image class to make this work. There is an opportunity here for some
optimizations, like making the class cache some image data in memory based
on enblend's iteration patterns.

After this I want to start looking at HDR blending issues. I'm having
trouble getting the sky and the landscape exposed properly together. So I
have been taking extra shots 2-3 stops down to fill in the sky. But I have
not found a satisfactory way to blend these in. I've been playing with
HDRShop and I have a small stack of SIGGRAPH papers to read. Greg Downing
has written on this a little, and suggests a workflow:

http://www.gregdowning.com/HDRI/stitched/

Andrew

Andrew Mihal
www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mihal