new features (estimate ala PanoPoints)

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Mon Oct 27 12:46:13 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 04:43, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
> Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've added another feature to the control point picker, inspired from
> > PanoPoints. It is possible to estimate the translation of the images by
> > averaging the control points.
>
> Hmm, it shouldn't be too difficult to get translation *and* rotation.
> maybe use the normal optimizer functions?  For only a few points that
> should be very fast.  Then the matching should be better even with
> non-horizontal images - maybe good enough to feed that position to the
> auto picker.

Actually, when I first saw the preview pane, I thought it was just
asking panotools to run a much-reduced, much-simplified version of the
job in the background:  small output dimensions, no interpolation, no
feathering, no color control, and only thumbnail image sources.

I see that's not the case now, but maybe it could/should be revisited to
simplify the preview code while getting better results.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]