[ptx] hugin.sf.net webpage design

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Nov 24 18:45:00 GMT 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Bruno Postle wrote:

> On Sun 23-Nov-2003 at 02:48:26 +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> >
> > I think the hugin.sf.net homepage needs a facelift and should be divided
> > into several sections with a sidebar, news etc.
>
> Hey, it looks great in linx ;-)

Jep, it does.

> I don't know of any CMS systems that are suitable, they all have one
> problem or another (I should know, I've written at least three).

I tried ezContents a little bit, and while it is a great piece of soft
(The rich-text editor is really impressive), it got some drawbacks as well,
as it doesn't work with simpler html browsers, and depends on a database,
which might be a bit slow or go out of order. I hope its faster than the
anonymous cvs access...

Actually while it might be nice to have a nice web interface to the website,
its not first priority for me. I don't intend to open discussion boards,
because I think mailing lists are more convinient.

I just tried installing ezContents on hugin.sf.net, but it hangs on the last
installation step. (after I entered the database details.)

> If you like, I'll come up with some CSS that can be easily applied
> to static html.  I'm also fairly happy doing some maintenance,
> fixing navigation etc..

Oh, if thats alright with you, please go ahead.

I thought about having a structure like this:

- Start, with a short description and the latest news item (new features
  etc.)
- News,  List of user level changes. the stuff I post to the list after each
         cvs commit ;)
- Features
- Gallery    With some example pics and links to our gallerys
- Download   For each system, with links to dependcies.. some users didn't
             know what to download.
   - Windows
   - Linux
- Documentation
  - Tutorials
  - Reference (based on the very short an incomplete html help page inside
               hugin)
- Support
- Links      To other Pano tools related stuff.
- Screenshots
- Credits

Probably with a nice small menu box on the left hand side, and some
nice, not too tall 360°deg cylindrical at the top, that might even be
rotated (replaced with some other every now and then) ;)

One of my colleagues has written some perl script that works a bit like
xslt (with support for executing perl code in the xslt nodes, as far
as I remember ;) Could be used to create the html files for the site.
Unfortunately his site is broken at the moment, so I can't check, if its
worth a try.