hugin update

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Nov 10 19:17:23 GMT 2003

Am 10.11.03, 19:31 +0100 schrieb Peter Suetterlin:

> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>
> > Other than I mentioned on 6.oktober no new stitcheris
> > needed. Instead telling to render the whole picture area, as today,
> > we only to render the ROI. This is very simple and enough.
>
> Not sure - is that possible?  I mean, with the standard pano tools?

Not all in one script, but one by one should work.

> > To merge the resulting images, is a
> > thing I can implement in hugin. A additional output option should not
> > bother ;-)  For very large images I find Your offset idea very amazing,
> > Pablo.
>
> I'm actually using this, sort of.  It is the only way for me to do
> huge (>10000x5000) spherical panos:
> I use an external program to crop the created tiffs down to the
> non-black area and write their positions out.  Then I load them with a
> small GIMP plug-in that gets name and position and creates a new layer
> from that file, put at the correct location...  A lot of handwork, but
> *way* faster than waiting for gimp swapping itself to death...

Ok so one person more who could benefit ;)
Sounds like my hand work of aligning all TIFF_m files each over the other
in filmgimp before multilayers was available.

> > Ok I will do a test and compare: rendering of the whole picture and
> > rendering only the ROI. I expect a difference in speed.
>
> At least for the disk space it definitely makes a difference (thinking
> of huge panos again...).  Then again, disks are large today :-)

For saving diskspace we can use compression.

> Isn't there a (simple) way to create gimps native xcf format?  Then no
> patches would be needed...

The developers of gimp discourage everybody to do this. XCF is like PSD a
not for portability designed format. Tiff is portable, easy to use
(libtiff), well documented ! Too much work for outsiders with xcf.
As well xcf is not 16-bit capable. Cinepaints xcf is broken and will be
substituded by a selfexplaining format - cpx. Xcf the same - I expect they
will not use a conform format. ImageMagic at least understands tiff layers
as animation.

Kai-Uwe