hugin update

Peter Suetterlin P.Suetterlin at astro.uu.nl
Mon Nov 10 18:31:37 GMT 2003

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Other than I mentioned on 6.oktober no new stitcheris
> needed. Instead telling to render the whole picture area, as today,
> we only to render the ROI. This is very simple and enough.

Not sure - is that possible?  I mean, with the standard pano tools?

> To merge the resulting images, is a
> thing I can implement in hugin. A additional output option should not
> bother ;-)  For very large images I find Your offset idea very amazing,
> Pablo.

I'm actually using this, sort of.  It is the only way for me to do
huge (>10000x5000) spherical panos:
I use an external program to crop the created tiffs down to the
non-black area and write their positions out.  Then I load them with a
small GIMP plug-in that gets name and position and creates a new layer
from that file, put at the correct location...  A lot of handwork, but
*way* faster than waiting for gimp swapping itself to death...

> Ok I will do a test and compare: rendering of the whole picture and
> rendering only the ROI. I expect a difference in speed.

At least for the disk space it definitely makes a difference (thinking
of huge panos again...).  Then again, disks are large today :-)

> > Then gimp/cinepaint needs to be able to read these multilayer tiff. since
> > I'm not familar with the tiff libraries, I haven't started writing it
> > myself.
>
> Cinepaint does it since one year - they accepted my patch.
> For gimp the patch is available. I only need to update for gimp-2.0, but
> will wait for the final release and try to bring it in once more.

Isn't there a (simple) way to create gimps native xcf format?  Then no
patches would be needed...

  Pit