memory hogging...

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Sun Nov 2 10:15:26 GMT 2003

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

> Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
>
> > have you created all the images on your site with hugin? You've got some
> > nice ones there.
>
> Thanks :-)   No, not all of them, but most.  The older ones were done
> with the 'original' ptpicker, but one (Roque) I redid meanwhile with
> hugin.  Especially the easy interface to the optimizer is such a great
> help when trying to find the best fit.
>
> > > How about storing the images in memory as jpegs and only uncompress
> > > them when they are loaded into the control point picker?
> >
> > Hmm, that could work, but I'm not sure how much work it
> > is. Hopefully the os also has a disk cache that might contain some
> > of the purged images.
>
> So you think of re-reading them from disk again?  Might of course
> work, too.

It was simplest to implement. Since I could do that already,
I can just have to purge the images out of my ImageCache ;)

> And probably add some intelligence to check what is in
> memory already, as normally you go through the image pairs in steps
> and one of the next pair is in memory already.
> (and kick me if I'm doing too obvious remarks....)

already thought about good remove strategies.. but no time to implement
any right now...

Two new parmeters in the prefs file/registry:

/ImageCache/upperBound    # cache memory to use in bytes
/ImageCache/hysteresis    # if used mem > upperBound +hysteresis, purge
                            some images, to get to upperBound