memory hogging...

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sun Nov 2 04:19:09 GMT 2003

I'm trying to perfect my first 18-image cylindrical (untrimmed comes to
more than 21000 x 3000 pixels).  However, I only have 512MB to work
with.  I used to have 1GB but a stick of memory went bad.  :/

I was pleased to find that the whole thing can run, but I think there
may be some room for improvement in the user interface part.  To recall
the myth, Hugin should "see everything," not "remember everything" like
Munin.

When the stitcher is launched, what can we jettison to save memory for
the stitcher itself?  The full images used on the control point tab?
Any large backbuffers for wxWindow controls?  Anything bigger than a
megabyte should be chucked out, if possible.

We also may have an optional mode where the control points tab only uses
1/2 scale images unless you (1) request full images with a toggle, or
(2) click the mouse or pan the image in either pane.

Certainly the preview image doesn't need fullscale source images.
Nothing more than 1/2 the screensize would make any sense there.  I
haven't checked to see if they're trying to render from the originals or
from preshrunk images.

I'm just talking out loud, and maybe optimizations like this are
premature, but what do others think?

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]