GUI development / image processing library

Marek spec at webtech.pl
Sun Jun 1 12:07:07 BST 2003

Hi Pablo,

 That means project must start using libjpeg, libtiff and libfftw.
You may as well start using it to read jpeg and tiffs (instead of
imagemagick
as it was in ptopengui) (if you're not using them already).

This may also mean good-bye to platforms other than unix (linux) and
windows.
So at that point why not start using GTK instead of wxWindows?

I would like to start participating in that project but I would like to know
the arguments for using wxwindows against other and more popular
cross-platform
gui framework (like GTK).

>From what I understand wxWindows doesn't come with
most linux flavors (doesn't come with Slackware 9 and I couldn't find a
package for it).
On top of it hugin already uses XRC which is a contrib to wxwindows and
requires
getting another packages (or compiling it manually)
So basicly to use it on any platform one would have to install wxWindows
(which
requires 60 (!) MB of space according to this page
http://www.wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.0/wx7.htm#requirements ). The only plus
of it
over gtk is that it exists on Mac (if hugin would compile there anyway)
(I just don't know if gtk exists on mac).

With gtk hugin would run smoothly on windows and linux - on windows it could
come with couple of dlls in its home dir, and every linux distro contains
gtk
libraries now. there's also a nice gui designer - glade. It creates a lot of
files
and very complicated makefiles, but one could use it just to generate gui
and create
makefiles on one's own. It also contains similar capability to XRC through
libglade.
It has a much larger community than wxwindows (and therefore support).

What are the advantages of using wxWindows over other gui toolkits?

--
Marek