ocaml / gtk and so

Julien Narboux Julien.Narboux at inria.fr
Fri Jan 17 13:09:48 GMT 2003

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Am 17.01.03, 09:24 +0200 schrieb Juha Helminen:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've used sml a bit some years ago and think that it is not big step to
>> learn basics from ocaml. If and when there are conversions from ocaml to
>> c this will not limit portability -- I'd like to see that program could
>> be ported to Linux, Windows, Mac, ...
>>

> -An port for gtk to windows is allready possible (cygwin).
> -Apple has made an own port to X11 <http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/>.
> -Some developers are underway to port gtk to Mac OS X
> <http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/docs/applications.html> initially for
> filmgimp.
>
> I hope this shows the portability of gtk-programms even if I've got no
> Mac nor do I know how to crosscompile with cygwin.

so lets choose gtk.

>> How much there is interest to make internationalized version of this
>> tool program? GTK seems to support multilingual versions.
>>

> I would like to translate into german.

cool !
I can translate into french.

>> Juha
>>
>> Julien Narboux wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have just a simple question : do you know ocaml or sml ?
>>> It is a strongly typed functional langage developed at INRIA in
>>> France. It is both efficient (to some extent) and high level.
>>> It is cross platform and there is a gtk port for ocaml.
>>>

> I would be really glad about a gkt-port. I had otherwise the idea to
> integrate an frontend as plug-in into filmgimp.
>
> To the above mentioned languages: I dont know ocaml nor sml.
> For me it does'nt matter because I started shortly to C.

That is not so difficult to learn because :
- you don't need to allocate memory !
- it is strongly typed : some of the errors are detected at compile time.

Do you know any functional programming langage ?

> I would be interessted in pliant<http://pliant.cx/pliant/graphic/>
> and Python(py-gtk) too. Are these languages interessting or even known?

I don't know pliant I will have a look.

Julien