PanoPanel <-> OptimizeFrame

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Sat Aug 23 16:23:32 BST 2003

On Sat 23-Aug-2003 at 01:57:14PM +0200, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> Currently we have two places where the optimizer can be called,
> PanoPanel and OptimizerFrame.
>
> Kai-Uwe seems to prefer to include the optimize step into the PanoPanel,
> while I think it will become overloaded, and should be a separate
> optimize window.
>
> What do the other users think about it?

I think the "panorama settings" tab is getting very cluttered with
many options.

This is the way I'd like to think about the whole gui:

The first "images" tab is all about the input photographs.  Things
like roll, pitch & yaw are fundamental properties of the camera's
orientation in space and have nothing to do with any output
panorama.

Perhaps the little preview should always be a full 360 view
regardless of later "output panorama" settings?

It makes sense to have the "add/remove file" functionality in the
first tab.

The second "lens settings" tab is all about the lens of the camera.
Again, this has nothing to do with the output panorama.  Though
things like the preview window in the "images" tab are meaningless
until basic lens settings are entered - Should the "images" and
"lens settings" tabs be switched?

At some point there could be a facility to save and load lens
profiles - There are a whole bunch of pre-existing profiles that are
part of ptlens:

    http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

I think that having different lens parameters for each of the input
photos is advanced usage, the default should be to hide that sort
of thing away and just link them all together.

The third "control points" tab works very well.

The fourth "panorama settings" tab seems to be a mixture of
everything that is left over.  It's mostly all about the particular
output panorama that is being rendered.  Though there are some
things that are a bit out of place.

I think it could be reduced to the essential details of the
panorama:

* Panorama type

* Field of view

* Width

* Interpolator

* Gamma correction

* File format (+ jpeg settings)

* "Stitch now" button

This leaves some stuff left-over, the question is where does it move
to?

The "Optimization" stuff could move to it's own tab (or be put into
the toolbar so it's always available).

The problem with the "colour correction" settings is that you really
need to be looking at the source images to make a decision about
which photo to use as the anchor - Should this move back to the
"images" tab?

I'm not sure about the "preview" settings, maybe this should have
it's own tab, since this functionality isn't actually necessary to
do some stitching?

(sorry if I've mixed up lots of ideas and things we've discussed
before, I'm about to go on holiday and have lots of things to do)

--
Bruno