ptopengui bcb -> wxWindows port

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Thu Apr 24 22:50:05 BST 2003

Hi!

Kai-Uwe Behrmann schrieb am Donnerstag, den 24. April 2003:

> Am 24.04.03, 01:42 +0200 schrieb Pablo d'Angelo:
>
> > Well the wrapping etc stuff is not coded yet (at least its not in the
> > CVS). the screenshots are just a design study, right?
>
> You mean the panotools library functions for doing the picture conversion
> inside or something else?

Yes, thats what I meant.

> > the focal length. Maybe we could use the lens data from the PTLens
> > application, and automatically select the right set of parameters (for
> > example by interpolation, but I have to look at the moment first).
>
> At the moment this maybe not neccessary, but after more people coming
> using the programm, it may be better let them calibrate theyre lenses
> alown within the gui.

jep, that would be nice, but not terribly important right
now. Adapting some other lens calibration software might be the way to
go, just let the user take a few pictures of a chessboard and the
lens parameters should be estimated. (obviously its not perfect,
because the focus setting is probably when taking the chessboard pics.)

> > Acutally when I just want to stitch two or four "normal" pictures
> > together, and do not care about the highest quality, I'd rather use
> > photostich and get a stitched pic in < 1 min (their stitcher is also
> > quite fast), instead of spending a lot more time with some PT gui
> > frontend.
>
> Ok two images maybe no problem, even an commandline tool is good enough
> for that. The guis are for the more complicated, like panoramas
> consisting of 4 rows with 12 images each.

I see no fundamental difference (except that you can probably get away
without correcting smaller errors like lens distortion.). the
relationship between two images need to be estimated as well, before
the images can be stitched.

> > 3a. select an "anchor" image, and set its position (like in
>
> >    a similar effect could probably be done by setting the right control
> >    points in X or Y mode. might be better because the optimizer can
> What means X or Y mode? I did not use it yet.

it is also called H and V control points. PTOptimizer can optimize x
and y differences or just x or y of the control points.

> > 5. preview with current parameters.
>
> Hope this is possible at every time, to see all changes.

PTGui has a nice realtime view/editor of the stitched image, maybe
that would be a nice thing to have too. Having lots of small
thumbnails in the image list is (imho) not needed, because they are so
small that its hard get useful info from them.

> > As a general rule I'd like have as little buttons on the gui as
> > possible. for example I never understood the Add button for control
> > points. Just click into both images and you got a control point.
> > I have to think about control lines a bit more before I write about
> > them.
>
> Ok, all the knobs could be hidden - I like to look at this.

Well, maybe some buttons could be still useful ;), like the delete
button.

> An advanced
> mode would be very handy for those how need it - see point 4.

yep, a advaced mode would be definately nice. any idea where the line
between simple and advanced mode should be drawn?
simple = person doesn't need to know how the PT tools work internally,
         for example linking of parameters is hidden behind some Lens
         interface that also allows the user to specify the image
         origin (digicam, scanned photo etc) and implicitly sets the
         right links.

advanced = export most options directly, for example linking etc.

> > I want to hide the PT project file as well. (maybe there should be an
> > option to edit it before optimizing/stitching, but probably only in an
> > "advanced" mode).
>
> My opinion is likewise for the preview - everytime one wants to see
> clear text or tune by hand she/he should be enabled. This is one of the
> most advantages of ptbcbgui.

yep, might be interesting for the expert.

I personally do not want to change the script, the GUI should
support all the features I need :) (*dreaming*)