ptopengui bcb -> wxWindows port

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Apr 24 10:27:04 BST 2003

Am 24.04.03, 01:42 +0200 schrieb Pablo d'Angelo:

> Well the wrapping etc stuff is not coded yet (at least its not in the
> CVS). the screenshots are just a design study, right?

You mean the panotools library functions for doing the picture conversion
inside or something else?

> Yep, exactly what I think. When I want create a panorama, I'm not
> primarily interested how parameter c distorts the image, or want to
> tune it. I have calibrated my lens before and set a,b and c once and
> for all (maybe there can be multiple settings for different focal
> lengths of a lens, since a,b,c (and I guess d and e too) change with
> the focal length. Maybe we could use the lens data from the PTLens
> application, and automatically select the right set of parameters (for
> example by interpolation, but I have to look at the moment first).

At the moment this maybe not neccessary, but after more people coming
using the programm, it may be better let them calibrate theyre lenses
alown within the gui.

> I'm not sure if somebody of you has used other stitchers before, but
> probably you have.

Yes some.

> Acutally when I just want to stitch two or four "normal" pictures
> together, and do not care about the highest quality, I'd rather use
> photostich and get a stitched pic in < 1 min (their stitcher is also
> quite fast), instead of spending a lot more time with some PT gui
> frontend.

Ok two images maybe no problem, even an commandline tool is good enough
for that. The guis are for the more complicated, like panoramas
consisting of 4 rows with 12 images each.

> for panorama tools I can think of the following:
>
> 1. add the images. have the program look at EXIF data, or specify an

>    btw. does anyone know where the shear distortion (f,g in newer
>    PanoTools) is useful, where does the error it tries to correct come
>    from?

It is intended to reverse some scanning artefacts.

> 3a. select an "anchor" image, and set its position (like in

>    a similar effect could probably be done by setting the right control
>    points in X or Y mode. might be better because the optimizer can
What means X or Y mode? I did not use it yet.

> 3b. select control points (unfortunately needed I guess), but as much
>    help as possible should be offered. This is the point where I
>    really want to go a step further than the other GUI's.

Sounds promising

> 4. optimize. maybe add an auto-optimize mode that tries to optimize
>    multiple parameters step by step.

We will need different styles for different situations. Digicams, scanned
film, scancameras need all theyre own settings.

> 5. preview with current parameters.

Hope this is possible at every time, to see all changes.

> 6. set output panorama parameters (if we can display the panorama or a preview
>    inside the gui, we might be able to give the user the ability to
>    select a crop region for the final image etc.)
>
> As a general rule I'd like have as little buttons on the gui as
> possible. for example I never understood the Add button for control
> points. Just click into both images and you got a control point.
> I have to think about control lines a bit more before I write about
> them.

Ok, all the knobs could be hidden - I like to look at this. An advanced
mode would be very handy for those how need it - see point 4.

> I want to hide the PT project file as well. (maybe there should be an
> option to edit it before optimizing/stitching, but probably only in an
> "advanced" mode).

My opinion is likewise for the preview - everytime one wants to see
clear text or tune by hand she/he should be enabled. This is one of the
most advantages of ptbcbgui.

> good night,
>   Pablo
> --