state of wx_port layout

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Apr 15 13:15:35 BST 2003

Hi all,
Starting with ptx we did some tries creating an gui for panotools.
The first endpracticable application related to ptx, with the main target
of portability, was ptbcbgui from Juha.
As Juha initially used BCB environment, with the intention of using Kylix
for the linux partipiciants, it was in fact an too large step to go to the
90Mb non free tool. In the disscussion some showed interesst in many
different languages remaining with gtk and wxWindows lately. (Qt was not
any longer concerned.) Gtk is an well supported environment for the unix
world. The cross-compilation for windows and mac seemed to be not as
trivial as we would like.
Even I am not aware about ocaml / wxwindow relation,
wxWindows has:
- free and commercially available gui designers
  <http://www.wxwindows.org/lnk_tool.htm>
- multilanguage support
- OpenGL support
- supports highlevel/scripting languages through wxPython and wxPerl
  ( crossing code maybe possible -  #include <python2.2/Python.h> )
So I decided to draw the layout within wxWindow in c++ style.

The wxWindows port goes on - How will we continue?
I would like to open an new project in sf - ptopengui  now,
as ptbcbgui is too much joined to an special environment, wich we are
underway to leave. As well I would suggest to let die the ptx-mailing list
and switch to the new site on sf. After this we should mention ptx in our
history.

Any comments are welcome before the next step.
We hope to get get more programmers and translaters involved.

Kai-Uwe