panoramas.

Peter Suetterlin P.Suetterlin@astro.uu.nl
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:01:44 +0200

  Hi :-)

I'm no (real) programmer myself, although I am working on image
processing.  All I 'speak' is IDL, a high level language specialized
on display and multidimensional array handling.  Nevertheless, I'm a
Linux-only user (since at least 6 years now...) and highly interested
in the topic of the list.  In doubt I could help in translating the
GUI, which is what I did in other projects.
(Maybe this point should be kept in mind from the beginning, although
I think at least for Qt localisation is rather trivial?)

That said, a few remarks:

Ianiv Schweber wrote:
> > 	Controlpoints (1 to many)
> > 		image1
> > 			coordinates
> > 		image2 (is it possible to have one point on 3 images?)
> > 			coordinates
> I don't think there is a direct way of doing this.

Not for the optimization process itself, true.  But that doesn't
restrict your UI to allow these kind of triple linked points and then
create multiple output lines for optimizer.

> Before you start, why don't we agree on what exactly we want to do.
> What language are we going to use to implement this?

Hm, My guess would be that the problem looks very OO, so a language
like C++ might come in handy.

> Are we going to use some kind of GUI toolkit (GTK, Qt) or use X
> directly? My opinion is we will save time using a toolkit.

True, a toolkit is mandatory.  In any case I'd suggest not to
concentrate too much on Linux, to allow also Sun, HP, AIX, ..... users
to use the program.  This (in my eyes) excludes the use of (e.g.) the
GNOME or KDE libs, if possible.  Plain Qt and Gtk should be fine, though.

> Where is our code repository going to be? Can anyone host a CVS server
> or should we create a page in SourceForge?

In doubt I could set up one on my work machine in Utrecht (Netherlands).
There seemed to appear some problems with SourceForge lately (using
non-free software etc.), I'm not sure how much you are concerned about
that (I'm not).  But SF is nice in that it supplies a
project.sourceforge.net domain name.  Of course, for this the next
question has to be answered before ;^>

> And less important right now, lets think of a name for the program.

Ha, why less?  Everything starts with a name :-))
What about PanGuia (derived from pangaea, the primordial continent...)

   Pit

--
Dr. Peter "Pit" Suetterlin                 http://www.astro.uu.nl/~suetter
Sterrenkundig Instituut Utrecht