[olsx-tech] Wireless networks

James Stevens james at spc.org
Mon Nov 14 14:38:33 GMT 2011

Dear all,

I have now popped up to visit a few times with a view to establishing
wireless access to Internet Gateway so everyone on site can patch in and
co-ordinate better. It's been problematic and early optimism that a link
was on offer and could be enabled has faded as each subsequent attempt
fails to connect.

SPC supplied a pair of 5.8ghz condex wireless radios to make such a
link. The 'B' end of the link is still in place on the pole attached to
the generator cage. The A end is back here with me drying out after
being left in the wet tent there so I hope it still works. I also picked
up the other smaller 2.4ghz access point that I first cabled round to
the front of St Pauls after that was also left in a puddle.

So provided these elements still work ( I will test today) then they can
be returned and installed once a suitable broadband supplier is identified.

In the meantime perhaps other approaches can be investigated. We could
make an appeal in the form of a poster on site asking for an internet
gateway / share of broadband. perhaps a friendly banker or office worker
will respond to that.

We could write a letter to local shops asking them for support and
access to an otherwise un broadband phone/fax line on which to install
broadband. I didn't yet talk to the owner of LoyalTea just behind the
camp.. but am still trying to reach him having spoken to the staff
already.. A formal request letter would help they have broadband there
already.. as will many others nearby. I also asked in the sports shop
who politely refused to discuss it.

Taking broadband access without permission will be used against us all.

Once we find a phone line, strongly recommend
http://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/bepro low cost short contract etc.
high speed good upstream.. though BT infinity hage huge capacity as well
(poor routing)

whilst you are already using 3G network access have you already tried a
3d enabled wireless router..?
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/3g_solutions.html I am sure there was
such a router in the tent at one point..then spend out for a unlimited
3G sim. try
http://www.avforums.com/forums/ipad-ipad-2/1261409-20-6-months-internet-unlimited-t-mobile.html

if any of you has questions about the wifi equipment already available
or has a better idea of how to sort a broadband link then I am all ears.

easy

james
07973318881