[OccupySheffield] Questions being asked of Sheffield Council

Andy Cropper (personal email) artbyandyc at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 19:39:18 GMT 2012

from Nigel
 Over the past few weeks I've been asking questions of my local councillors. So far I've found out the following.

 We need to keep reminding the said councillors that 2 out of 3 people didn't vote at all and 4 out of 5 people didn't vote for the people who got elected.

 This council thinks we should be grateful that Stagecoach, a company with a turnover of £2.4Bn and profits of £191M, received £6.4M in Government funding to buy itself new buses to make even more profits.

 The council has 537 contracts with 700 private companies to provide 'public' services. These contracts are worth £730M or 49% of the council's budget and some of them have guaranteed profits. ie. Capita (council tax collectors) 10% and Veolia (bins etc) 11%.

 The new contract for improving the city's highways is worth £2Bn or £800M per year. That's £42,000 per kilometre of road per year.

 More to follow

(that's 4 out of 5 people in total didn't vote for the leaders currently in Sheffield council, the council has a mandate that's been agreed on by only 1/5 th of the population of Sheffield)

Andy Cropper
Painter/Artist
12 Parkfield Place
Highfield