[OccupySheffield] "Warm-up" against fuel poverty end of Jan

Ruth ruthe at allwomencount.net
Wed Jan 11 12:11:22 GMT 2012

Hi Occupiers,

Quite a lot of people at the Edinburgh conference gave me their names to get
information about the Warm-ups being organized this month against the
scandal of people dying of cold.  The principle is, we should be able to
occupy warm spaces, whenever we want.  As a beginning, at the end of
January, people in several places are starting to plan collective actions -
occupying a warm space together.  I've taken the liberty of sending this
call-out to the whole Edinburgh list - hope that's ok with those who didn't
actually sing up for it.  If you're interested in doing something like this,
please get in touch.   Hope to see you in Sheffield, too!

Ruth

'Warm Up' in a housing office, town hall, or energy company office near you

Friday, January 27th - Monday, January 30th

Part of the Nationwide Fuel Poverty Action Winter Warm-up

 http://fuelpovertyaction.wordpress.com
<http://fuelpovertyaction.wordpress.com/>

It's January.  It's freezing, and now the bills are starting to bite. As the
Big Six energy companies rake in profits of 700% and the government freezes
the fuel allowance, it's time to tell the Big Six and the government that
we've had enough!  Small reductions in bills by some companies are a drop in
the ocean: many people are still going cold or cutting down on food.

The Bix Six continues to blame extortionate fuel prices on the switch to
green energy. In fact, green measures only account for a tiny percentage of
the price hike. The real story is of an energy monopoly making massive
profits from spiraling prices, and continuing to burn fossil fuels at a
climate-wrecking rate. The cost of their profits is people dying cold in
their homes in the UK, and suffering the devastating effects of climate
change across the world.

One in four families in the UK is shivering, out of sight, behind closed
doors. Meanwhile six companies are deciding how 99% of our energy is
sourced, produced and priced. We think it's time we had a say in these
decisions, which have a major effect on our health and our climate.

The 'Warm Ups': On the last weekend of January, Fuel Poverty Action will be
heating things up! People across the UK will come out of their cold homes
and into the warm offices of the Big Six: E.ON, EDF, Scottish Power,
Scottish and Southern, Centrica (British Gas), and Npower. Others will
warm-up at town halls and housing associations, which are putting profit and
cuts before people's welfare.

Bearing flasks of tea and our own experiences of landlords that won't
listen, unaffordable bills, tuition fees, and debts, as well as cuts in
services, benefits and working conditions, our winter warm-ups will be
taking place wherever cuts are biting and warm spaces look inviting. As
people warm up, they'll be taking the chance to discuss how to achieve a
democratic, sustainable energy system.

This is a call to anti-cuts groups, local youth and pensioner organisations,
environmental groups, and anyone who knows that it's time to break the
stranglehold of the Big Six. Stop shivering in silence, let's warm-up
together!

Organise your own winter warm up! Visit our website for:

*        Details of local actions already taking place

*        Tips on how to organize your own 'warm-up'

*        A leaflet you can download and reproduce

*        A model press release