[OccupySheffield] Fwd: Response to Letter from Sheffield Cathedral dated 5th Jan

Chris chrisc at indymedia.org.uk
Sun Jan 8 23:22:58 GMT 2012

Hi

The following email was sent this evening.

All the best

Chris

----- Forwarded message from Occupy Sheffield <info at occupysheffield.org.uk> -----

From: Occupy Sheffield <info at occupysheffield.org.uk>
To: <peter.bradley at sheffield-cathedral.org.uk>,
	<carl.hutton at sheffield-cathedral.org.uk>

Dear Sheffield Cathedral,

Following the latest letter from the Dean and the accompanying press
release we have discussed at our latest General Assembly both items and
the discussion had with your management representatives on Friday 6th.

You will understand that we feel very disappointed that the Cathedral
feels it necessary to threaten Occupy Sheffield with eviction
proceedings at this stage, when we are trying to establish our future
strategy for the movement, in light of the upcoming availability of the
Citadel of Hope on Cross Burgess Street and the continuing inclement
weather.

We have discussed and appreciate the plans the Cathedral has for the
extensive building works planned for later in the year but believe the
threats made are premature and unnecessary, when we have always said we
would do everything we can to accommodate the needs of the Cathedral in
respect of the use of the Forecourt.

We also feel it is incumbent on us at this stage to point out that the
threat of legal action inevitably includes the threat of violence
against the peaceful protest currently being undertaken by Occupy
Sheffield, since the ultimate recourse of a successful eviction
proceeding would be the use of Bailiffs etc. to physically remove the
protest.

On a more positive note we appreciate your comments about the
importance of the work we are undertaking and the issues we are raising
and we recognise the Cathedral has been working quietly on the same
issues for many years. We continue to hope that the Dean and Chapter
will eventually feel able to connect more fully with Occupy Sheffield to
strengthen both our efforts to effect a real change in the city.

If you are keeping abreast of developments on our social media sites
you will be aware that we are currently undertaking a week of meetings
to more effectively define our future strategy with respect to the
availability of the Citadel of Hope and the impact of that facility on
our camp at Church Street. This is no simple process with so many people
involved and in light of the way we decide things by consensus,
democratically. However we do plan to keep you informed of our progress
on these matters as appropriate, via the two weekly meetings with your
management staff and continue to hope that you will allow us to
facilitate our continued discussions without the necessity of
unwarranted and expensive legal proceedings.

Yours faithfully

Occupy Sheffield.

----- End forwarded message -----