[OccupySheffield] The Revolution is Love

Peter Garbutt petergarbutt at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 10:46:13 GMT 2012

Perhaps not so much by coincidence but by reaching the same conclusions because our situation demands them, I had a similar experience over the Christmas break. Walking along a Suffolk beach, looking out to sea, I thought how alike that view was, no matter which beach you were standing on; and how connected the views. That led to the thought that everything on the planet IS interconnected, and that actions that harm any of it harm all of us; and therefore, that the real meaning of love is to recognise that interconnectedness and to act accordingly.
Two songs, decades apart, came to mind: from "Catch Bull at Four", by Cat Stevens, "The Boy with the Moon and Star on his Head", the last line goes "I'll tell you everything I've learned - And love is all, he said"; and, from "The Future", by Leonard Cohen, one of the lines in "Anthem" is "Everyone to love will come, but like a refugee". In the light of my experiences, the meaning suddenly came into sharp focus.
These aren't new thoughts. In some ways, they're not even new to me. The clarity they have given me is new, though. I'm not a religious person, and I'm clear that these ideas don't rest on any notion of faith or even of transcendence (unless by transcendence you mean "thinking beyond me"). They are based in science and in politics.
and so,
love,
Peter