[OccupySheffield] PROPOSED NUCLEAR SITE OCCUPIED...

Sarah Wild flyingtroutx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:28:35 GMT 2012

Can this be spread far and wide? These guys need support to be able to stay there for as long as possible
xxx

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:49:27 +0000
From: theo at seizetheday.org
To: flyingtroutx at hotmail.com
Subject: PROPOSED NUCLEAR SITE OCCUPIED...

	PROPOSED NUCLEAR SITE OCCUPIED...
	In the early hours of Sunday morning Theo and a group of others, moved into and occupied the premises of Langborough Farm near Hinkley Point nuclear power station.

		PROPOSED NUCLEAR SITE OCCUPIED...In the early hours of Sunday morning Theo and a group of others, moved into and occupied the premises of Langborough Farm

near Hinkley Point nuclear power station.

The old farmhouse premises, on a site that EDF has earmarked for it's proposed new nuclear reactor, is now a legal squat. To help them settle into their new home Theo

and the other occupiers would welcome friendly visitors today and in the days ahead.

The nearest postcode (for google map) is TA5 1UD (...which is the post code for the Nuclear power station and directs you down Wick Drove Lane)

Remember that access to the farm is by Public Right Of Way, and if anyone tries to obstruct you they will be committing an offence under section 137 of the

Highways Act 1980, punishable by a fine of up to £1000. There are many paths across the site, but your best bet may be Wick Drove Lane, where there is a

layby for parking. Walk down to the Power Station entrance then turn left up the public footpath.

Theo says ?We really want you to come and visit and spread the word. We are fighting against a corrupt planning decision, made at the highest levels, which

favours the nuclear corporations over the democratic process, and we will feel much safer here if we have visible support.?

(It's cold out there so please take warm food, water, any spare tents, blankets or bedding you may have and anything useful you can think of when you go!...and if you

want to support the occupation and have no other way to do so please feel free to donate to the campaign via the Seize the Day website www.seizetheday.org)

...and I've adding the press release (below!) to this post to give you more info about why they are there... love Shannon x

Nuclear Reactor site occupied Feb 12th 2012:

Protesters have for the second time in a week occupied the development site at Hinkley Point nuclear power station in Somerset.

In the early hours of this morning anti-nuclear activists took possession of an abandoned farm on the site which is protected under International Environmental law. The

site contains a Site of Special Scientific interest (SSSI) and a protected wetland (R.A.M.S.A.R site) but it is due to be cleared by power company EDF in the coming

months. Protesters are angry that permission has been given for this work to begin before the company have won permission to build their controversial new nuclear

plant.

Somerset born Theo Simon said "We want to reclaim this land and make sure that the wildlife that inhabits it and forages here is protected. Giving permission to clear the

land before Planning Permission has even been granted clearly gives the message to EDF that permission is a done deal. I, and many others like me, want proper public

consultation and debate before we commit to a technology whose toxic legacy will remain for generations.?

Local media reported this week that EDF will begin site clearance in the coming weeks, although EDF claimed the opposite when protesters occupied the trees on

Tuesday.

The first phase of the preparation works will include removal of hedgerows and all trees,

before stripping all topsoil and levelling the landscape, all this despite the fact that planning permission has not been granted for a new nuclear power station at the site.

Nikki Clark of SWAN said "Bat ecologists have explained to us that 86% of Bat crime is caused by the destruction of roosts carried out by developers. We have been

told that the so-called 'mitigation', which involves building alternative roosts, that has been proposed by EDF has never been scientifically tested to prove that it actually

works."

Questions have been raised about the Government's process of developing energy policy.

In the corruption of governance report last week it was revealed that the 'Nuclear Renaissance' was instigated against the advice of scientists, and is indicative of

wider corruption within the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

The new minister brought into replace Chris Huhne, who stood down last week to face criminal charges, is Lib Dem - Ed Davey. Despite having produced the party's

anti-nuclear policy in 2006, he has now made a complete U-turn and is supporting the coalition in promoting new nuclear build in the UK.

Shana Deal, one of the occupiers in Langborough Farm, said today: "If EDF's activities continue, this nature reserve will be lost forever. Not even EDF are willing to

guarantee that a new nuclear power station will be economically viable, and I for one do not want to see this beautiful land turned into a Toxic Waste dump.?

The farm premises is accessible by public footpaths and visitors are being welcomed by the protesters.

		Links:

			http://www.seizetheday.org

		15-Feb-12

		You received this email because you subscribed to the Seize The Day mailing list.

		If you no longer wish to continue receiving emails from Seize The Day, please click here.