[OccupySheffield] Fwd: Via Campesina

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 08:45:05 GMT 2012

Hi all,

In our conference in Leeds on the weekend, we had a workshop about food. We
were introduced to the campaign being run by Via Campesina, a coalition of
peasant farmers, and others, on Food Sovereignty.

*La Via Campesina is the international movement which brings together
millions of peasants, small and medium-size farmers, landless people, women
farmers, indigenous people, migrants and agricultural workers from around
the world. It defends small-scale sustainable agriculture as a way to
promote social justice and dignity. It strongly opposes corporate driven
agriculture and transnational companies that are destroying people and
nature.*

 Have a look at the website   http://viacampesina.org/en/ also in
French/Spanish. Occupy could join this movement and support its aims rather
than start from scratch.

I hope other Occupy groups wil be interested in this. The language is firm
and not inflammatory, beautiful video here http://video.viacampesina.org/

I want to connect with people who are doing something real, in a
responsible way, not adding to the carnage, and I believe this will have to
be led by the women, who are the most concerned with food and caring for
the children. I hope others will join us.

Anna