[OccupySheffield] public GAs

Joe joe at occupysheffield.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 09:53:12 GMT 2012

Morning Mick,

First off I think I'd say that there will still be daily meetings every day
at 6:30pm, whether it's a General Assembly (GA) or a Working Group (WG)
meeting, or just a group chat about the problems of our time. It is a 24
hours a day occupation, so anyone can be there at any time, day or night,
too.

I think because it could be seen as quite a big decision, to focus our
energies on WG meetings over GA's for a few days each week (Tuesdays,
Thursdays and Sundays now set aside for WG meetings), the idea was to
discuss which days might be best over a number of GA's. The minutes from
27th January don't state that a decision was reached, but do say that it
was to be discussed for 3 days. Yesterday, a decision was made as no
alternative decision has been communicated from a General Assembly last
week. Communication of decisions has also been a topic for discussion, and
this is why there is a Process Working Group meeting tonight *Tuesday) at
6:30pm, to help us put into practice a workable method of communication
which deals with the fact that we are a changing group of people.

Steps that have already been taken to help communicating decisions include
writing out large on flip-chart paper any proposals that a GA takes, and
any agenda items for the next General Assembly. This is displayed inside
the main tent on site, and if we could get some more white boards and
markers that would help too, so the latest decisions/actions are clear to
all. This has been a way of working in the past that has been lost as there
has been no regular Process Working Group. Also, Sarah's email here is
another example of how we should all try and communicate decisions made
each day as soon as possible. If we could get a laptop or two on site each
day we can do live minute taking and upload to the wiki instantly. On top
of this, an email like Sarah's, that summarises the main points of a
meeting (e.g. proposals and consensus decisions, events) is a big step in
the right direction, in my opinion. Lets keep it up.

Solidarity all. Unstoppable,

Joe