[OccupySheffield] Motion passed in support of Occupy Edinburgh by the Edinburgh Council

Chris chrisc at indymedia.org.uk
Sat Nov 26 14:19:30 GMT 2011

Hi

Passing on for info.

All the best

Chris

----- Forwarded message from Occed Burgh <occupyedinburghmedia at gmail.com> -----

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:30:06 +0000
Subject: Details on council motion

Hello occupiers,

Here is a copy of our original motion for support originally put
forward by the Green Group on the council:

THE CITY OF EDINBURGH COUNCIL
24th November 2011
... GREEN GROUP MOTION

Support for Occupy Edinburgh

Council:

Notes that the encampment of citizens in St. Andrew Square, ‘Occupy
Edinburgh’, represents one part of a growing, global movement for real
democracy, authentic global equality and justice, and a sustainable
economic and ecological future;

Notes that this occupation, together with the more than 1000 others
worldwide, is not simply a protest, but an effort to bring to life the
inclusive, equitable and sustainable systems desired;

Notes that this movement, and its participants in Edinburgh, have
significant support in the wider population;

Believes that given the mistakes made by financial traders, the
profits of these companies and their shareholders should be tapped
before cuts are made to public sector spending. It is unacceptable
that bailouts are being paid for at the expense of public services,
and this must never be allowed to happen again;

Believes that an economy functional only on top of endlessly growing
consumption is causing significant environmental damage and must
ultimately deplete our planet's resources and cause irreversible
environmental damage. This must end now;

Believes that these demands are not only fair, but are in fact the
only reasonable response in the face of the crisis faced by our
current economic system, our communities and our planet;

Believes that, by setting a example, Edinburgh can help our national
governments, and the wider world, to finally accept the real and
fundamental changes that are so desperately needed to salvage a
sustainable future;

Thus supports the values of Occupy Edinburgh;

Supports the participants of the St. Andrew Square occupation in
demanding that these values be recognised and acted upon by all
governmental bodies in the UK, and worldwide;

Commits to return our democracy to the people, and to work together
immediately to create a new, sustainable and equitable Scotland.

Attached to the email is a picture of the SNP/Lib Dem amended motion.

Should you put forward a motion, start a campaign asking all
supporters to write to their local councillors in support.

Hope this is of some help.

Solidarity,

Jamie