[OccupySheffield] Winter Carnival Proposal

rachel mariner rachelmariner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:14:29 GMT 2011

Hi Everyone:

Just to say that the Winter Carnival proposal Tina sent out a couple weeks
ago is getting more refined - I have attached the latest draft to the end
of  this e-mail.  Please could you take a look at it and see if it is
something you would like to do?

The idea, to tell you the truth, is that the kind of moral reform of civic
society that Occupy seeks to accomplish (more moral governments, more moral
markets) is squarely within the remit of the Church of England.  Frankly,
these guys should be helping you.  I know that there are issues with
religion and whatnot, but this proposal is a way to try to get people of
faith and people of good faith to stand up and be counted with you, because
you want the same things.  It is also a way to get you to state what you
want - if you see the proposal, after the sacred texts are read out,
whatever they may be, about virtue or accountability or good stewardship of
the earth, the next thing that happens is that the Occupy presence at the
meeting speaks to everyone about what it sees and wants:  about the
failings of that virtue in our modern society and what we might be able to
do to change that.

This is hard to conceptualize for some people, because why hold hands with
the church, right?  But allies are allies, and truth is truth, and I think
there is an enormous potential to discover commonality between the stiffest
vicar and the wildest Anon.  Both want justice, right?

If you are at all interested in this proposal, let us know, because there
are people on the Winter Carnival Committee in London who would like to
help hook you up with a place or a reader as you want and need.  Of course
this hasn't been signed off on by all members of the Winter Carnival
committee yet.  You know how that rolls.

I believe justice is possible.

Yours

Rachel Mariner
Winter Carnival Committee

Revised Winter Carnival Proposal
put forth by the Winter Carnival Working Group

We recognize and respect the essential differences between people of faith,
people of no faith tradition (who are people of good faith) and the
Occupation.

We embrace, however, our commonality and believe it to be more important
than our differences.

We are united in our fervent desire for justice, and united in
understanding that the Occupy movement presents an opportunity (an
unimaginably great opportunity) to bring the best desires of our hearts
into this world.

We understand that there are deep moral failings in our governments and
markets.

We recognize that these moral failings are as a result of choices some
humans have made.

We want to make more moral choices.

We therefore want to remind ourselves of our moral traditions.  And we must
learn anew what they mean for today.

For these reasons, we have named ten weekends throughout the dark cold
winter and ten virtues, or values:

Tolerance [diversity?  respect? love.  I think this one should be called
love?],
Generosity [could rename charity?],
Temperance [prudence?],
Accountability,
Courage, [Fortitude]
Equality,
Liberation [could rename freedom? or Liberty? ; )]
The environment/Stewardship/Green/Environmental
Democracy
Justice

Ten sacred ideas.  On those ten weekends, the Church of England and the
Occupation will meet to discuss the sacred texts and modern failings of
these virtues.  The proposed format can be replicated any place, any
synagogue, temple, mosque, church, town hall, living room,or school.  It
can be modified.

Format:

1.   If the [summit/meeting] is in the evening, a Candelit procession to
the meeting place for the town or neighbourhood.

2.  Once in the meeting place, the format is

a.  Reading from Sacred Texts by people to whom the text is sacred or
important (Koran, Bible, Pagan writings) (music could be offered instead of
a reading, or a short film).  Readers are asked to bring the members of
their community if they are in one.  It is essential that at least two
communities or faith traditions participate here, as the point is to engage
with others.  (With respect for our differences and an eye on our
commonality, to engage with others.)

b.  The vision of Occupy:  how the virtue under discussion informs the
Initial Statement, and ideas for making the UK (whether it is our
governments, our markets or ourselves) more reflect this virtue.

c.  A public discussion - This could be comments and questions, or it could
take the form of a general assembly, and people could identify the
commonality between a and b enough to vote assent to proposals.

3.  Anything else is in the discretion of the locality.  If people want to
have an ancillary arts festival based on that weekend’s virtue, then they
can.  If they want to organize a big party or a potluck, they can.  If
schoolteachers want to teach the virtue that week, they can.

We propose the following schedule:

January 21-22 Tolerance [diversity?  respect? love.  I think this one
should be called love?],
January 28-29 Generosity [could rename charity?],
February 4-5 Temperance [prudence?],
February 11-12 Accountability,
February 18-19 Courage, [Fortitude]
February 25-26 Equality,
March 3-4 Liberation [could rename freedom? or Liberty? ; )]
March 10-11 The environment/Stewardship/Green/Environmental
March 17-18 Democracy
March 24-25 Justice