[OccupyComms] What is Freedom? Presentation

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 12:37:16 GMT 2015

Thank you, Colm, for this treatise on individual and collective freedom. There is much that could be said about it, including questioning the original dichotomy. It doesn't have to be either or. In fact it is necessary to have both. A collective freedom, which ignores whether individuals feel free, or which does not respect the freedom of minorities, may just be the appearance of freedom.

But my main point would be the omission of the mother child relationship as the basis for social relationships. All the philosophers you quote are of course men, who do not recognise the fundamental bond by which society coheres. This is not just an oversight. The defence against our more vulnerable and tender feelings is a widespread pattern of civilisation which has led us to our present existential crisis. When half the players are ignored, particularly those who have to do with the early years of human development, then we have a very skewed perspective on society, and particularly on freedom.

When politics is seen as the relationship between friend and foe, it has already lost touch with the humanity which sees us all as part of one big family. Yes, I like your definition of political as involving defiance and acceptance. But acceptance does not just mean obedience to tyranny. When a mother accepts the defiance of her child she is encouraging his independence and initiative. When we welcome diversity instead of resisting difference, we will enrich our collective and individual freedoms.

Anna