[OccupyComms] [occupyMCR] Re: [Assembly-discuss] [pan-discuss] URGENT! - Agitating for a Participatory Democracy Debate in the PAAA

Mich Manchester michmanchester at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 13:15:06 GMT 2014

Dear all

Just to let you know that the Motion on Participatory Democracy (as
discussed in this email thread) was passed by Manchester People's Assembly
on Saturday (along with one against fracking). So it will be forwarded for
tabling at the National Recall Conference on 15th March.

The Manchester People's Assembly is already quite participatory, using
workshops/break-out groups to come up with ideas and then discussing and
agreeing them as a whole. I feel there is strong support for participatory
methods and a desire for a non-herarchical structure in the PA here. While
a number of people are taking the lead in organising things, they (I feel)
do not want to be seen as 'the leaders'. Manchester People's Assembly uses
the majority vote, and discussion and skepticism on the motion did revolve
around consensus decision making. The motion passed with a majority, a
number of abstentions, but none against.

I am also going as a delegate of the Manchester People's Assembly to the
National Recall Conference. If anyone would like to discuss the motion or
is going to the conference drop me a line.

For those of you who don't know me, HI ! I'm in the network of individuals
who come together as Occupy Manchester. I have been a little involved with
the People's Assembly up until now, people from Occupy Manchester came
together with the People's Assembly for an alternative / anti austerity
carols at Christmas. Individuals from Occupy Manchester also spoke about
being involved in Occupy at a People's Assembly meeting a while back.
Individuals from both are involved in supporting the Barton Moss
protectors. I believe we need to work together where possible and am
stepping into the People's Assembly with an awareness that that I might not
agree with all I find but with high hopes.

Best wishes
Mich (Michelle)